July 1, 2018
TO: 2018-19 Admissions (Undergraduate) Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Admissions (Undergraduate)
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the University Standing Committee on Admissions (Undergraduate). Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- Advise the Director of Undergraduate Admissions and the Provost on the admission procedures of all new freshmen and all new transfer students whose applications cannot be processed by the Undergraduate Admissions Office without special consideration.
- Consider applications for readmission from former NC State students who were suspended and who are not eligible for automatic readmission.
- Consider applications for continuation from NC State students who are subject to suspension.
- Recommend readmission or continuation of those former students who were suspended, or those continuing students subject to suspension who have a reasonable chance of completing the degree requirements of their intended curriculum; and to recommend denial of readmission or continuation to those who do not appear to have that reasonable chance of completing the degree requirements.
- Recommend any stipulations or conditions that should be an appropriate part of the admission, readmission, or continuation decisions for students identified in the preceding paragraphs.
- Consider all applicants on their merits while recognizing the educational benefits of a diverse student population consistent with the University’s values.
- Advise the Director of Admissions and the Provost concerning general policies and procedures as they pertain to the admission, readmission, or continuation status of undergraduate students at NC State.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Academic Policy committee for consideration of policies, procedures and standards.
The committee is reminded of the importance of following provision of General Faculty Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, https://facultysenate.ncsu.edu/general-faculty/general-faculty-bylaws/ which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 31, 2019. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
Your service as an active committee member is appreciated. Each committee member is normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to periodic and annual review. By choosing to serve on the committee you are expected to actively participate and attend all scheduled meetings. Should you not be able to participate on a regular basis, please notify the committee chair as soon as possible.
The committee must comply with NC State’s Open Meetings Regulation available here. Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Stacey Davey for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to support the committee’s work.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.
Again, thank you for your willingness to serve on this committee.