July 1, 2017
TO: 2017-18 Admissions (Undergraduate) Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Admissions (Undergraduate)
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the
University Standing Committee on Admissions (Undergraduate). Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- Advise the Director of Undergraduate Admissions and the Provost on the admission procedures of all new freshmen and all new transfer students whose applications cannot be processed by the Undergraduate Admissions Office without special consideration.
- Consider applications for readmission from former NC State students who were suspended and who are not eligible for automatic readmission by improving their academic standing through NC State courses taken through Summer Sessions, Self-Paced Courses, or Lifelong Education.
- Consider applications for continuation from NC State students who are subject to suspension.
- Recommend admission, readmission, or continuation of those new freshmen and new transfer applicants, those former students who were suspended, or those continuing students subject to suspension who have a reasonable chance of completing the degree requirements of their intended curriculum; and to recommend denial of admission, readmission, or continuation to those who do not appear to have that reasonable chance of completing the degree requirements.
- Recommend any stipulations or conditions that should be an appropriate part of the admission, readmission, or continuation decisions for students identified in the preceding paragraphs.
- Consider all applicants on their merits without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or disability; recognizing the importance of a diverse student population consistent with the mission of the University.
- Advise the Director of Admissions and the Provost concerning general policies and procedures as they pertain to the admission, readmission, or continuation status of undergraduate students at NC State.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Academic Policy Committee for consideration of
policies, procedures and standards.
The committee is reminded of the importance of following provision of General Faculty
Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, https://facultysenate.ncsu.edu/general-faculty/general-faculty-bylaws/
which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 25, 2018. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
The committee is expected to select a chair-elect from among the continuing members and
forward that name to Amy Jinnette no later than February 1. Each committee member is
normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to annual review.
Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Teresa Dail
for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to
support the committee’s work.
Please be aware that your committee must abide by the UNC General Administration
interpretation of the (August 9, 1996) North Carolina Open Meetings Law. Procedures for
doing so are to be found at https://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-04-00-03/.
Again, your willingness to serve on this committee is appreciated.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will
be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.