Speakers and Lectures
July 1, 2022
TO: 2022-23 Speakers and Lectures Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Speakers and Lectures
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the University Standing Committee on Speakers and Lectures. Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
1. Advise the Provost annually on the selection of prominent high quality speakers, distinguished in scholarship or public life to bring to campus.
2. Encourage collaboration and pooling of resources to bring appropriate, high-quality speakersto campus.
3. Assure an ongoing commitment to the expectations established in the creation of the Harrelson Fund.
4. Assure that all co-sponsoring groups or funds that support speakers are named and recognized in materials that promote those speakers.
5. Assist in implementation of approved projects, including selection of speakers, program events, etc.
6. Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Resources and Environment Committee for consideration of policies or procedures or other matters having across-campus impact.
Please visit the url https://committees.provost.ncs
The committee is reminded of the importance of complying with General Faculty Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 26, 2023. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
Your service as an active committee member is appreciated. Each committee member is normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to periodic and annual review. By choosing to serve on the committee you are expected to actively participate and attend all scheduled meetings. Should you not be able to participate on a regular basis, please notify the committee chair as soon as possible.
The committee must comply with NC State’s Open Meetings Regulation 04.00.03. Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncs
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.
Again, thank you for your willingness to serve on this committee.