Group Insurance and Benefits
July 1, 2019
TO: 2019-20 Group Insurance and Benefits Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Group Insurance and Benefits
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the University Standing Committee on Group Insurance and Benefits. Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- GIBC was created in accordance with North Carolina General Statute 58-31-60. The Group Insurance and Benefits Committee is concerned with all types of group insurance and retirement programs for employees. It is also concerned with other fringe benefits that promote the welfare of the faculty and/or staff of the university.
- It is the responsibility of the Committee to make policy recommendations to the Benefits Office relative to maintaining and strengthening our present programs and developing new programs. The Benefits Office will then forward these recommendations as appropriate to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources who will carry forward pertinent issues to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration.
- The committee is charged with advising the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources on matters related to developing strategies to encourage healthy behaviors in the workplace and creating a health-friendly work environment for faculty and staff.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Governance and Personnel Policy Committee for consideration of policies, procedures or other matters pertaining to faculty concerns.
- Group Insurance Bylaws (amended March 2012)
The committee is reminded of the importance of complying with General Faculty Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 31, 2020. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
Your service as an active committee member is appreciated. Each committee member is normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to periodic and annual review. By choosing to serve on the committee you are expected to actively participate and attend all scheduled meetings. Should you not be able to participate on a regular basis, please notify the committee chair as soon as possible.
The committee must comply with NC State’s Open Meetings Regulation available here. Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Merari Valencia for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to support the committee’s work.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.
Again, thank you for your willingness to serve on this committee.