Meeting - February 8, 2021


Monday, February 8, 2021
Video Conference
10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

Approval of the Minutes – Arden (5 mins)

Consent Agenda (No Item(s) – Arden (0 mins)

Action Items

  1. University Human Resources, Ombuds, On-campus Office
    Space Request #21-02   – L. Van Roekel (10 mins)

Information / Discussion Items

  1. Fitts-Woolard Backfill (Info Item 18.12)
    a. Mann Hall Virtual Tour
    b. Backfill Options – S. Jones-Humienny, L. Moore (60 mins.)

Other Business:
Next Meeting: Monday, March 1, 2021, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM


February 08, 2021
Video Conference
10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

Members present: Warwick Arden; Charles Maimone; Mladen Vouk

Staff Support present: Alicia Knight; Cameron Smith; Catherine Phillips; Doug Morton; Duane Larick; Imran Aukhil; Jonathan Horowitz; Lisa Johnson; Lisa Van Roekel; Liz Moore; Louis Hunt; Margery Overton; Sumayya Jones-Humienny

Guests: None

Additional Distribution: Barbara Moses; Catherine Phillips; Katherine Stewart

Approval of the Minutes

The minutes of the December 07, 2020 meeting were approved and have been posted.

Approval of the Consent Agenda


Action Items

  1. University Human Resources, Ombuds, On-campus Office, Space Request #21-02: L. Van Roekel presented the request for the Ombuds to move on campus and terminate the office lease at 112 Cox Avenue. The Ombuds is amenable to sharing space and using a combined approach with a remote location for virtual meetings and on-campus shared conference spaces for in-person meetings for up to one year, or until a long-term location is identified. Staff Support advocated for the appropriate locations on Centennial, Central, and North Campus precincts in more public-facing buildings, not proximate to Human Resources or Administration functions. The committee approved the request and urged implementation of a scheduling strategy via an MOA with the conference room schedulers to give one to three weeks of advance notice for reserved blocks of time.

Information Items

  1. Fitts-Woolard Hall Backfill (Info Item 18.12)

    a. Mann Hall Virtual Tour: S. Jones-Humienny gave a video tour, produced in conjunction with L. Moore and Brian Carter, of Mann Hall to help the committee better under- stand the building’s capabilities for finalizing the proposed backfill plan. An accompanying one-sheet Building Summary and Neighborhood Map highlighted structural, material, and building system information in the 80,000 GSF facility built in 1964 and the proximate college departments in adjacent buildings. No major renovations have occurred and most building systems are original, outdated, and well beyond life expectancy. Building and accessibility improvements are required to meet current codes: these include larger restrooms with more plumbing fixtures and a new, larger elevator, both to be reconfigured for universal accessibility.

The building has wide column spacing, advantageous for unobstructed views and adaptable layouts for classrooms, teaching labs, and research labs (although lab space would cost significantly more to renovate). The first floor has industrial-finish lab spaces with a higher floor-to-floor height and some high bay space. The second through fourth floors have higher-level finish classrooms and offices with lower floor-to- floor heights. A $5M structural repair project is underway to repair spalling concrete, replace the windows and precast concrete panels (with metal), waterproof the masonry, and fix the roof. This project is anticipated to extend the life of Mann Hall for an- other 30 years. The building has much potential with its central location, numerous open spaces, and right-sized offices; however, it will need more funding to modernize the building systems, upgrade the finishes, and address the programmatic needs of future occupants.

b. Backfill Options: L. Moore presented a revised proposed backfill option, dated 2/8/2021, based on feedback from previous USC This option keeps over half of the 110 Classrooms’ assignable square feet (ASF), relocates the DELTA Class- rooms to 111 Lampe, significantly increases the ASF for CHASS Psychology (relocating from Poe Hall), provides more ASF for COS Physics teaching (relocating from Fox), and relocates the Facilities’ Zone Shop 2 (displaced from Bureau of Mines) from its temporary location in Broughton, while allocating space for a building hearth.

Discussion ensued regarding the sequencing of Page, 111 Lampe, and Mann Halls’ backfill plans. First, COE Academic Affairs, ITECS, and EOL will move from Page to 111 Lampe. Funding has been procured for EOL’s minor renovations and the moves. Second, CHASS Dean’s Administration (from Caldwell) and Global Engagement (from 111 Lampe) will relocate to Page Hall once the HVAC renovation project completes. Staff Support noted that to properly renovate 111 Lampe’s third and fourth floors, an additional $42M would be needed. Although the ideal long-term location for DELTA testing would be in the Library, no arrangement to do so has been negotiated, and it would require logistical consideration for control of the computers and reconfiguration of space. Third, Mann Hall moves will occur when the backfill plan is finalized and the repair project completes.

The committee directed Staff Support to start discussions with CHASS Psychology and COS Physics teaching to confirm their respective space needs. The Provost Office will contact the Libraries to start the conversation regarding the DELTA Testing Center. They also inquired as to how Psychology’s backfill space on the sixth and seventh floors of Poe Hall would be used for the College of Education and interdisciplinary use.

Other Business

A. Knight asked whether backfill plans are needed for the eight receipt-supported buildings on Centennial Campus as well. The committee stated that due to a wide range of commitments across these buildings, backfill plans are not at the sole discretion of colleges, as they pose challenges to the university’s business model; therefore, an analysis should be done on the cost of space.

Moreover, with the implementation of remote work during the Covid-19 pandemic, the committee asked what the impact of continued remote work will be on campus space and requested that Staff Support review the Space Principles for possible implications.

Next Meeting:
Monday, March 1, 2021 from 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM

Meeting Adjourned at 11:30 AM.