Group Insurance and Benefits
July 1, 2017
TO: 2017-18 Group Insurance & Benefits Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Group Insurance & Benefits
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the
University Standing Committee on Group Insurance & Benefits . Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- GIBC was created in accordance with North Carolina General Statute 58-31-60. The Group Insurance and Benefits Committee is concerned with all types of group insurance and retirement programs for employees. It is also concerned with other fringe benefits that promote the welfare of the faculty and/or staff of the university.
- It is the responsibility of the Committee to make policy recommendations to the Benefits Office relative to maintaining and strengthening our present programs and developing new programs. The Benefits Office will then forward these recommendations as appropriate to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources who will carry forward pertinent issues to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration.
- The committee is charged with advising the Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources on matters related to developing strategies to encourage healthy behaviors in the workplace and creating a health-friendly work environment for faculty and staff.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Governance and Personnel Policy Committee for consideration of policies, procedures or other matters pertaining to faculty concerns.
- Group Insurance Bylaws (amended March 2012)
The committee is reminded of the importance of following provision of General Faculty
Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, https://facultysenate.ncsu.edu/general-faculty/general-faculty-bylaws/
which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 25, 2018. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
The committee is expected to select a chair-elect from among the continuing members and
forward that name to Amy Jinnette no later than February 1. Each committee member is
normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to annual review.
Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Merari
Valencia for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to
support the committee’s work.
Please be aware that your committee must abide by the UNC General Administration
interpretation of the (August 9, 1996) North Carolina Open Meetings Law. Procedures for
doing so are to be found at https://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-04-00-03/.
Again, your willingness to serve on this committee is appreciated.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will
be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.