July 1, 2019
TO: 2019-20 Bookstores Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Bookstores
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the University Standing Committee on Bookstores. Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- Understand POL 07.10.01 Students Supply Stores Policy, other related policies and regulations and the operating practices of the NCSU Bookstores, including pricing, stocking and the system of administrative and fiscal accountability.
- Assist the Bookstores’ management and the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration as requested in developing or revising the Bookstores’ policies and regulations in the best interest of the campus and compatible with sound business practice.
- Interpret policies and regulations for students, faculty and staff.
- Maintain continuing surveillance over existing policies, regulations and operating procedures, and make recommendations to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration for updating and improvement as appropriate.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Resources and Environment Committee for consideration of policies, procedures or other matters having impact across campus.
The committee is reminded of the importance of complying with General Faculty Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 31, 2020. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
Your service as an active committee member is appreciated. Each committee member is normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to periodic and annual review. By choosing to serve on the committee you are expected to actively participate and attend all scheduled meetings. Should you not be able to participate on a regular basis, please notify the committee chair as soon as possible.
The committee must comply with NC State’s Open Meetings Regulation available here. Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Anthony Sanders for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to support the committee’s work.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.
Again, thank you for your willingness to serve on this committee.