Meeting - March 19, 2018


Monday, March 19, 2018
Holladay Hall Conference Room 18
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM

Approval of the Minutes – Arden

Consent Agenda – Arden

Action Item

  1. COE, Computer Science, Digital Games Research and Visual Narrative Cluster, Venture II, Suite 530 – Stafford / Overton (10 mins.)
    Strategic Lease Renewal Request #18-03

Information / Discussion Items

  1. Academic Space Analysis Status – Jones-Humienny (15 mins.)
    (Info Item 15.15)
  1. Space Benchmarking Study – Johnson / Moore (10 mins.)
    (Info Item 18.02)
  1. Project and Study Status – Johnson / Moore /Smith (45 mins.)
  • Dabney Hall – Lab Exhaust & METRIC Renovations (Info Item 18.08)
  • Brickhaven Bldgs. – Relocation of Personnel (Info Item 17.04)
  • Lake Wheeler Conference Center – 2 Sites (Info Item 17.05)
  • Lake Wheeler Creamery & Education Center (Info Item 18.03)
  • Lake Wheeler Commodities Bldg. (Info Item 18.07)
  1. Capital Projects Update – Smith (5 mins.)
    (Info Item 17.03)

Other Business
Next Meeting: Monday, May 21, 2018, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM


Monday, March 19, 2018
Holladay Hall, Conference Room 18
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM

Present: Warwick Arden; Scott Douglass; Alan Rebar; Jeff Bandini; Lisa Johnson; Lori Johnson; Sumayya Jones-Humienny; Liz Moore; Doug Morton; Margery Overton; Matt Peterson; Cameron Smith; Harlan Stafford; Cynthia Williford.

Guest: Barbara Moses, Catherine Phillips.

Additional Distribution: Louis Hunt, Lauren Joyner, Duane Larick.

Approval of the Minutes
The minutes of the January 22, 2018 meeting were approved and have been posted.

Consent Agenda
The consent agenda, comprising request #18-09, CALS: Ag Institute / Golden Leaf, Soldiers to Agriculture Educational Program, Fort Bragg, NC was approved.

Action Items
1. COE / Computer Science Digital Games Research & CFEP Visual Narrative Center, Venture II, Ste. 530, Strategic Lease Request #18-03: H. Stafford stated that final negotiations on the lease were pending and that the lessor was offering an 8-year duration term. If this lease doesn’t go forward, Real Estate and Development Office would seek similar relocation space as may be negotiated in the lease agreement. The committee approved the request with the following conditions: 1.) USC approval is contingent upon negotiation of the final lease agreement; 2.) The College of Engineering (COE) understands that Provost Office funding toward this lease will decline annually over the first five years of the lease; 3.) If a longer term lease is negotiated, COE understands that the college is solely responsible for funding the entire rental cost for any re-maining years of the lease beyond five years; 4.) The College of Engineering will confirm its understanding of these conditions in writing to the Office of the Provost.

On April 6, 2018, the College of Engineering came to a lease cost sharing agreement with the Provost’s Office to move forward with lease cost negotiations. The lease agreement will be directly with the College of Engineering (only) and the Engineering Dean’s Office will work with the Provost’s Office and the computer Science department to have their contributions transferred into the COE’s account.

Information / Discussion Items
1. Academic Space Analysis Status (ASA) (Info Item 15.15): S. Jones-Humienny distributed a handout detailing information gathered from the initial round of meetings with the college deans, and preliminary space and personnel data. She presented a list of recurring themes compiled from feedback at the meetings, namely the colleges’ needs for: collaboration space, changes in teaching space, space quality, and efficiency in space configuration. She stated that this information would be refined as the study proceeded and would be presented again at a future meeting for committee determination as to whether the feedback agrees with university priorities. The final findings of the analysis will contribute to the development of project scenarios for review by the committee and, ultimately, result in some proposed projects to be added to the university’s Integrated Project List (IPL). The committee requested confirmation of the 2025 undergraduate enrollment numbers, and the projected growth in professional versus technical/clerical staff, and asked that Mary Lelik be invited to the next meeting when the ASA was on the agenda.

2. Space Benchmarking Study (Info Item 18.02): L. Moore distributed a handout that described the information that would be gathered from other institutions for the benchmarking study, and a cost estimate for hiring a firm to begin. She stated that data on institutions’ interdisciplinary space had not been gathered in other studies. L. Johnson stated that NC State’s colleges were being asked to produce a list of which institutions they considered as their peers and/or aspirational peers. Committee discussion centered on opportunities for creating more interdisciplinary space in locations such as the future construction on the Harrelson site and North Oval. The committee agreed to identify funding for proceeding with the study.

3. Project and Study Status:

  • Dabney Hall – Lab Exhaust & METRIC Renovations (Info Item 18.08): L. Johnson presented a section rendering of Dabney Hall, indicating the extents of the forthcoming renovation for METRIC and described that the rest of the building renovation was limited to improving the exhaust systems on the other floors. C. Smith stated that Capital Projects Management was working with the dean to identify swing space in the building. Discussion centered on working with the building users to manage disruption to their activities during the project.
  • Brickhaven Bldgs. – Relocation of Personnel (Info Item 17.04): L. Moore described the sequence of construction in Ricks Hall and personnel moves that would occur in order to vacate the two Brickhaven Rd. buildings that would be demolished for the I-440 widening. She stated that modular buildings were planned to house some CALS personnel and storage.
  • Lake Wheeler Projects – Creamery and Education Center (Info Item 18.03); Conference Center (Info Item 17.05); and Commodities Bldg. (Info Item 18.07): L. Moore distributed a map of Lake Wheeler indicating the project sites. L. Johnson added that the Creamery project was moving ahead (with completion expected in fall of 2019) and the other two projects were being studied.

4. Capital Projects Status (Info Item 17.03): C. Smith reviewed the progress of the Carmichael Renovation and Addition, Dabney Hall Renovation, Plant Sciences Building and Reedy Creek Equine Farm.

Other Business
1. S. Douglass stated that a Student Housing Master Plan was going to begin. The plan would encompass housing, dining, transportation, parking and athletics.

2. A. Rebar stated that the Poole College of Management was considering renting the Milton Small building at 105 Brooks Avenue, across Hillsborough St. from the college. L. Johnson stated that the building needed construction of an elevator if it is to be used for university program space.

Meeting Adjourned at 3:35 PM.