Registration, Records and Calendar
July 1, 2017
TO: 2017-18 Registration, Records & Calendar Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Registration, Records & Calendar
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the
University Standing Committee on Registration, Records & Calendar. Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- In consultation with the Registrar, advise the Provost and the Vice Chancellor and Dean for Academic and Student Affairs.
- Study the workings of the currently approved calendar and evaluate.
- Approve for recommendation to the Chancellor the academic calendars which are to be published by the university. This function is to be conducted within the guidelines adopted by the Board of Trustees on April 11, 1969.
- Advise the Department of Registration and Records on its policies and procedures regarding maintenance of student records, registration and scheduling, and suggest new procedures which would better serve the university.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Academic Policy Committee for consideration of policies, procedures or other matters pertaining to the academic mission of the university.
The committee is reminded of the importance of following provision of General Faculty
Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, https://facultysenate.ncsu.edu/general-faculty/general-faculty-bylaws/
which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 25, 2018. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
The committee is expected to select a chair-elect from among the continuing members and
forward that name to Amy Jinnette no later than February 1. Each committee member is
normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to annual review.
Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Teresa
Dail for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to
support the committee’s work.
Please be aware that your committee must abide by the UNC General Administration
interpretation of the (August 9, 1996) North Carolina Open Meetings Law. Procedures for
doing so are to be found at https://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-04-00-03/.
Again, your willingness to serve on this committee is appreciated.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will
be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.