July 1, 2017
TO: 2017-18 Harrelson Fund Committee
FROM: W. Randolph Woodson, Chancellor
SUBJECT: Appointment to University Standing Committee on Harrelson Fund
You have been recommended by the Committee on Committees to serve as a member of the
University Standing Committee on Harrelson Fund. Your willingness to accept this responsibility is very much appreciated.
The objectives of this committee are:
- Advise the Provost on expenditures from the bequest of the late Chancellor Harrelson.
- Assist in implementation of approved projects, including selection of speakers, program events, etc.
- Annually select a prominent individual, distinguished in scholarship or public life, as the Harrelson Lecturer.
- In concert with the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, manage the financial arrangements for the Harrelson Lecturer, making certain all proper expenses are paid promptly.
- Consult with the Faculty Senate’s Resources and Environment Committee for consideration of policies or procedures or other matters having across-campus impact.
The committee is reminded of the importance of following provision of General Faculty
Bylaws, Article VII, Section 4, https://facultysenate.ncsu.edu/general-faculty/general-faculty-bylaws/
which requires that “All University standing and ad hoc committees shall forward reports simultaneously to the Faculty Senate and the appropriate administrator. Any action of the Faculty Senate in response to the report will be forwarded to the administrator.” The reports are to be accessible from the committee’s University Standing Committee website no later than May 25, 2018. This provision enables the Faculty Senate to review and comment on the recommendations of your committee in a timely fashion. It has generally been understood to include any formal committee minutes where these are regularly posted on the committee’s website and formal recommendations that are submitted for administrative review and approval.
The committee is expected to select a chair-elect from among the continuing members and
forward that name to Amy Jinnette no later than February 1. Each committee member is
normally appointed to a three-year term, which is subject to annual review.
Committee chairs are to use the committee’s web page provided at https://committees.provost.ncsu.edu/university-standing-committees/. Please contact Monica
Banks for assistance in using the website and other administrative needs to
support the committee’s work.
Please be aware that your committee must abide by the UNC General Administration
interpretation of the (August 9, 1996) North Carolina Open Meetings Law. Procedures for
doing so are to be found at https://policies.ncsu.edu/regulation/reg-04-00-03/.
Again, your willingness to serve on this committee is appreciated.
You do not have to take any action to accept this appointment. The committee chair will
be in touch with you soon regarding plans for the coming year.